Makes: 24 pies
Takes: 20 minutes + 20 minutes cooking time
500g packet shortcrust pastry (or make your own if you must)
About 1 lb mincemeat (shop-bought, or see recipe here)
4 oz caster sugar
4 oz butter or margarine
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 oz self-raising flour
- Roll out the pastry to about 3mm thick and cut rounds with a cookie cutter or large glass. Use to line the holes in a cupcake tin.
- Spoon one teaspoonful of mincemeat into each pastry case then set the tray aside.
- Make the sponge topping: cream together the sugar and butter then beat in the eggs. Add the milk and vanilla, then sift in the flour and mix well.
- Spoon one teaspoonful of sponge mixture onto each pie, smoothing over to cover the mincemeat.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, till the sponge is golden and well-risen. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack till cold.